Interviewing your Midwife
© Brandon James
- How did you become a midwife?
- What was your academic training?
- What was your clinical training?
- How many births have you attended?
- What is your philosophy of care?
- Why are you a midwife?
- Are you certified as a CPM or CNM?
- Why or why not?
- What do your services include?
- Prenatal care at my home or your office?
- Is lab work additional?
- What lab work do you recommend?
- How many postpartum visits?
- Do you offer childbirth classes?
- Do you offer waterbirth?
- Do you rent birthing tubs?
- What do you expect of me (us) the expectant mother (parents)?
- Who will you bring to my birth: a partner, an assistant, an apprentice?
- Can I choose who will come to my birth?
- What is the assistant’s role?
- How many births do you attend per month?
- What happens if two or more women are birthing at the same time?
- Have you ever missed a birth? Why?
- Who is your back up if you can’t make it to the birth?
- Can I meet her in advance?
- Do you have any vacations or travel planned during my pregnancy?
- What is your experience with complications and how do you handle them?
- What equipment do you bring to births?
- Under what circumstances would you transfer care during pregnancy, birth, or postpartum?
- Do you have a preferred hospital to transport to?
- What is your fee?
- What does it include?
- What does it notinclude?
- When does it need to be paid by?
- Will my insurance cover any of it?
- What happens if I move or change care providers during my pregnancy?
When your interview is over, ask yourself:
- Do I like her?
- Do I feel comfortable with her?
- Do I trust her?
- Do I want her at my birth?